RECIPE > CHOC PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN BALLS


The past few weeks I have been drooling over some AMAZE-BALLS (yep, pun totally intended) protein balls I have been picking up from my local Nutrition Station. But I made a rookie mistake - I've been telling everyone who would listen just how good they are and now they never seem to be in stock! :-/

While the lovely staff have assured me they will be ordering a larger quantity from now on, I was far too impatient to wait for them to come in so set about recreating them myself. A bit of trial and error but all in all I've pretty pleased with my efforts!

You will need:
100g dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70% cocoa)
375g crunchy natural peanut butter (yep, a whole tub!)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 cup diced apricots
2 cups almond meal
5 scoops vanilla protein powder
Crushed peanuts to roll in

Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave.
Mix through other ingredients (except peanuts) in a large mixing bowl.
Roll into balls and roll through crushed peanuts.
Place in the fridge to harden.

Makes 34.

I have frozen some of these too and they seem to freeze quite well. I need to freeze treats like these in small portions to stop me eating them all at once!

The best part about these is you can play around with them and make endless varieties. Possible substitutions I might try next time include: swapping he chocolate out for some cacao to make it healthier, adding more protein powder and less almond meal to make them sweeter, adding some sultanas in place of some of the dried apricots. Adding peppermint essence and rolling them in coconut, the ideas are unlimited!

What are your favourite things to include in protein balls?

Hope you are having a beautiful day!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, these protein balls look and ARE amazing. I think removing the chocolate and adding in cacao will be better for the overall calorie intake and I think the chia seeds are a nice touch to add more texture.

    I put it through MyFitnessPal calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/54844211342461 and it was 170 calories per serving.

    ReplyDelete